Pregnancy is the time a woman should take good care of herself both physically and emotionally to have a problem free pregnancy and as well for a healthy baby. A woman starts to think quite a bit during this time, about her food, diet, exercise, nutritional intakes, etc and so on as the list is endless. But there are few points shared below on how one can take care by themselves and also talk to your practitioner before following on any of the points.
When you are pregnant it is important to take care of yourself both physically and mentally as your body undergoes several changes.
- Prenatal care is important for you and your baby. Choose your gynecologist and go for regular prenatal visits and during these regular checkups your doctor will find out any complications and ensure you deliver safely and securely.
- You should concentrate on your diet and an additional of 300 calories is enough for you both. Protein intake must be important as it helps for the growth of the baby.
- Take prenatal vitamins such as folic acid and iron regularly.
- You can perform few exercises regularly as per your doctor’s advice.
- Avoid consuming alcohol as it may harm your baby’s health.
- Take enough rest as you may experience fatigue during first and third trimesters
- Stop taking unwanted drugs.
- Avoid consuming caffeine as it may lead to miscarriage.
- Stop smoking as it leads to growth and developmental problems, placental abruption and preterm delivery.
- Be happy and avoid stress as it harm your and baby’s health.
Foods to be avoided during pregnancy:
- Avoid consuming sea foods that are high in mercury like sword fish, shell fish, shark and king mackerel.
- Avoid consuming raw, undercooked or contaminated sea foods
- Avoid consuming undercooked poultry, meat and eggs.
- Avoid taking unpasteurized dairy products.
- Avoid eating fruits and vegetables that are not washed properly.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and caffeine.
- Avoid having herbal tea.
Healthy diet for pregnant women:
It is important for a mother to take nutritious food during pregnancy because the foods that a mother intake nourishes the baby. The mother should include fruits, vegetables, proteins, whole grains and dairy products.
- Fruits and vegetables: It should be taken daily mainly in second and third trimester’s. These fruits and vegetables which are colorful are low in calories and contain fibers, vitamins and minerals.
- Lean protein: Proteins are highly important as they aid in baby’s growth and development. Foods such as meat, eggs, fish, poultry, and cheese and milk products should be included.
- Whole grains: These products are source of high energy and also contains fiber, iron and vitamin B. Hence whole grains such as wheat, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta and bread and brown rice must be included in the diet.
- Dairy products: Try to include milk, yogurt and cheese in your diet as they are source of calcium, protein and vitamin D which aids in baby development.
- Beans: Include black beans, white beans, lentils, kidney beans and black eyed peas in your diet. These products are rich in protein and also folate, calcium, iron and zinc.
- Berries: Berries such as blackberries, blueberries and raspberries are rich in vitamin C, potassium, folate and fiber.