loss of memory

Loss of balance, loss of memory, vision changes – Brain tumour

Mr Joseph, father of three kids lives in Kenya and works as a radiologist in a leading hospital. One day, he started to notice some signs and symptoms which were unusual and abnormal such as giddiness, severe headache and loss of memory. Being in the medical field, he decided to do few investigations by himself to analyse the reason of these changes and also underwent an MRI with the suggestion of a doctor who started to look at Joseph’s case. Being suspected of a tumour, he was suggested to travel to India for further treatment. Even though the notice given to him was short. HealthOpinion organised his needs in India before and after his arrival at one of our associated hospitals.
Treatment at India

At the hospital, Joseph underwent some basic level of investigations to help the doctor in planning the treatment. He was diagnosed with malignant tumour, which has high possibilities of spreading and affecting the other organs in the body as well. Doctor had advised for a Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (FMRI) or functional MRI, which is a technique used to measure and map the activities of the brain that is non-invasive and safe. This is a functional neuroimaging procedure which uses the technology of MRI to map the brain activity like the sensory, auditory and visual activities by detecting associated changes in blood flow.


On the basis of the investigation, the growth of the tumour was confirmed and the immediate treatment option began without further delay. The doctor performed a surgery to remove the tumour from the brain by using the method of craniotomy.

A craniotomyis a surgical procedure done to remove a part of the bone from the skull to give more exposure to the brain. Special tools like bone flaps were used in the surgery to remove the bone parts which is replaced after the surgery is performed.

The surgery was performed on Joseph successfully by a team of experienced Neurosurgeons which lasted around three hours. He was under observation for a couple of days and was discharged to continue four sessions of radiotherapy, after which, he will be able to lead a normal life as before.